How to: Collect payment through the OpenSports app
Once you have an OpenSports account, you can post pickup games and collect payment to cover personnel/rental costs
The following article will be organized into the following helpful sections:
- How to calculate what to charge players
- How to select the collect payment option via OpenSports
- How to obtain your payments
- Online dashboard to track payments received
1 — Overview:
OpenSports uses a payment system called Stripe that is fully integrated with our platform (web + iOS and Android app) so you can seamlessly collect event fees, or team payments.
Stripe receives 2.9% + $0.30 of each payment as a service fee to process the payment. OpenSports collects an additional 2.1% to provide you with integrated features that make managing your games incredibly easy!
2 — How to calculate what fees to charge:
A small transaction fee (5% + $0.30) will be taken from the total amount a game organizer charges per ticket.
For example, if you want to collect $10 from each player who RSVPs your game, you will want to charge $10.84 per ticket… see calculation below!
The following formula can be used to determine how much you should charge in order to collect the desired amount:
Amount to charge = (Desired amount to collect + $0.30) / 0.95
So, if you want to collect $10 per player, the calculation is:
Amount to charge = ($10 + $0.30) / 0.95 = $10.84
How does this compare with some of our competitors? Let’s just say that on top of charging a monthly fee to be an organizer on MeetUp, their transaction fee is around a whopping 8% + $0.50. So yes, OpenSports is the way to go 🥇
3 — Collecting payment through OpenSports:
In order to collect payment through OpenSports (iOS, Android, or Web), follow these steps using the images below:
- When you are in the “Create a Game” screen, you must select the option “Specify position, team, or price” by toggling it on to green (see Figure 1).
- You must input a Price in the Price field (such as $10) (see Figure 2).
- A field asking you to “Collect Payment via OpenSports” will appear, and you must toggle that on to green (see Figure 2).
- If you are a first time organizer collecting payment: Your game will be pending approval from someone from OpenSports. Once it is approved, it is live and players can start joining.
- If you do not toggle on the field “Collect Payment via OpenSports”, users will see the price of the game, but they will have to pay you through another means.
- Once you have selected “Collect Payment via OpenSports”, ALL players who join your game/reserve a spot must pay through the app.
- Accepted Cards: Visa, MasterCard, AmEx (debit not accepted at the moment).
Seeing who has paid
You will be able to see who has RSVP’d and paid, as players join.
4 — Obtaining funds:
E-Transfer: Once the funds are collected on OpenSports, they will be sent to you via an e-transfer. The e-transfer is sent to you within 36 hours of your game.
OpenSports Fee Structure: If you collect money through OpenSports (such as from players paying for a game that you posted), the fee for each transaction is 5% plus $0.30 of the amount you receive.
Payment provider: Stripe
5 — Refunds:
Refunds are sent manually by you, if you choose to refund a player. You may send a player a refund at any time after they have paid, through the app or the website.
Just tap on “Manage game” and you will see a list of the game attendees. Tap on the name of the person who you want to refund and tap “refund”. That’s it!
6 — Payments received dashboard (Web):
An online dashboard for game organizers to track & manage the flow of funds from each player that joins their game(s) (Figure 3).
Below the green bar is a list of everyone that’s paid. You can tap on their name to see the receipt and even send them a refund.
- Send us your preferred e-mail address for receiving an e-transfer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post a game and start making money!
Now you’re ready to collect payment!
Questions? We are available every day to walk you through the steps if there are any issues. E-mail email@example.com .