How to cancel and refund a players’ membership (app + web guide)
How to cancel a players’ membership and issue refunds
App: How to cancel a players’ membership
- Go to your Group
- Tap on the Memberships tab
- Tap on the membership you want to manage
- Tap on the Manage Membership button
- Tap on the Subscribers tab
- Tap on the player whose membership you want to cancel
- Tap on Cancel Membership. You can also send refunds through this page (see the Refund button).
When an organizer cancels a user’s membership, the membership ends immediately (the player will not be billed again).
Players will get notified through chat (or email if they do not have the app) that their membership has been cancelled.
Note: Clicking “Cancel Membership” does NOT automatically send the membership holder a refund. If you want to send refunds, you must do this manually.
Who has this permission to cancel memberships: Group Admins only!
In order to Cancel a player’s membership, go through your group’s Memberships tab > find the membership > click Manage Membership > Click on Subscribers to find the player > Click on Cancel membership.
How to cancel a players’ membership: Web
- Go to your Group
- Click on the Memberships tab
- Click on the Manage Membership button
- Click on the membership you want to manage
- Click on the player whose membership you want to cancel
- Click on Cancel Membership. you will receive a pop up asking you to confirm the cancellation and clarifying that this will end the players’ member privileges (Note: If your goal is to cancel the membership so that it does not renew again, but you’d like the member benefits to continue until the end of the billing cycle, please have the player cancel the membership themselves. Here’s our guide on how they can do that).
- You can also send refunds through this page (see the Refund button). You can also send a refund after you’ve cancelled the membership.
Sending Membership Refunds
There are always special circumstances when membership-holders will request to cancel their memberships and get a refund — people move away, get injured, have major life events, etc. As the admin of your group, you can use your discretion to allow them to cancel without penalty and get a refund*.
- Note: while organizers can refund the full amount and the player will receive the full amount, organizers will loose the Stripe transaction fee they paid (2.9% + $0.30).
For example, on a $200 membership, organizer pays $7.23 in fees.
How to send refunds to membership holders
Same flow as above: Go to your Group > Tap on the Memberships tab > Tap on the membership you want to manage > Tap on the Manage Membership button > Tap on the Subscribers tab > Tap on the player whose membership you want to refund> Tap on the Refund button.
You must send refunds for each individual transaction. This means if a player subscribed to a $35/month membership, and they have already been billed for 5 months (5 cycles), you can select how many of those cycles you would like to refund, manually.
Players will get notified through chat (or email if they do not have the app) that their membership has been refunded.
Can membership holders (players) cancel their membership?
Membership holders (Players) with auto-renew memberships cannot cancel their membership during the contract period. If it is a membership that renews, they can click “Cancel Contract Renewal,” but the cancellation won’t take effect until the end of contract period, and the membership benefits continue until the end of the recurring term or contract. Read below for an elaboration with screen shots.
- If a membership costs $35/month for a 12 month contract period (“renews every month for 12 months”) that means the cancellation will apply at the end of the current contract (at the end of the 12 months). The player will still be billed monthly until the end of the contract period.
- If a membership costs $350/year for an annual contract period (“renews every year”) that means the cancellation will apply at the end of the current contract (at the end of the year).
- If a membership is a one-time fee and costs, for example, $35/month or $350/year, a player cannot cancel because there is no contract renewal. (Note: a group admin can send them a full refund, though).
Below is a view of how a membership-holder who has a membership that renews can cancel their contract renewal 👇
- If an organizer cancels a user’s membership then it ends immediately (but refunds must be sent manually)
- If a player (membership holder) cancels their membership, then the memberships benefits go until the end of contract.
If you have any questions about this topic, I’d love to help. Email me at email@example.com