All about Notifications: Email vs. App; Default notifications; How to change notifications settings
By default, an OpenSports user receive notifications (push notifications and/or email notifications) including:
- Event invites (if your club sends invites to events)
- Event reminders 24h before an event
- Waitlist notification if a spot opens and you’re on the waitlist
- Event chat: if the event chat is active, an email will get sent every 15 mins with a summary of msgs that were sent over the last 15 mins
- Event changes and cancellations — the event admin can select if they want attendees to get notified of the changes
How members should expect to receive their notifications:
- If they have an App with push notifications from OpenSports enabled: they will receive push notifications to their phone
Note: They have to have push notifications from OpenSports turned on in their phone’s settings
- If they have the App but push notifications from OpenSports turned off: notifications will go to email
- If they have a web account: notifications will go to email*
*The one caveat with email, is if someone creates an OpenSports account with a Facebook login, depending on their permissions in Fb, they may or may not have an email address attached to their OpenSports account.
Fb account vs Apple account vs Email account
People can make an OpenSports account 3 ways:
- With an email log-in;
- a Fb log-in;
- or an Apple log-in.
We generally recommend people create email accounts because it ends up being the cleanest with respect to receiving emails from/notifications from your group.
For example, if someone creates an OpenSports account with a Facebook login, depending on their permissions in Fb, they may or may not have an email address attached to their OpenSports account.
With Apple accounts, we always have their Apple email from so emails from OpenSports would get sent to that account.
How to edit email notification settings
Note: By default when someone creates an OpenSports account, they are subscribed to all of the OpenSports notifications.
On the Web
- Click on your profile picture (or the circle with your initials)
- Click on Profile
- Click Edit Profile
- Click Email Subscriptions
- Unselect whichever emails you no longer would like to receive
Note: Some of the notification settings in the screenshot below (like “Newsletter” and “Player matches”) are outdated.
Send questions our way to firstname.lastname@example.org